Working with a Unilock Authorized Contractor is working with the best of the best. Our UACs possess the knowledge and expertise to bring your dream project to life, and deliver stunning results that will exceed your expectations.
Spring Maintenance for Your Unilock Pavers
Spring is officially here, and while it might not be warm enough just yet to start enjoying our patios, we can certainly get outside and start cleaning up our outdoor spaces so that they are ready to enjoy when the mercury rises.
Unilock pavers are very low maintenance, but spring maintenance is encouraged to brighten your space.
Here are a few tips:
- Use a power washer on a low setting and a stiff brush/broom to remove dirt and any stains that may have occurred during the winter. Avoid spraying too close to surface, otherwise you may accidentally remove the jointing sand and risk damaging the surface of the pavers.
- Your local hardscape or building supplier can recommend a general cleaner (always ask to ensure its safe on the particular product you have installed). Alternatively, you can use your own safe cleaning solution comprised of dishwashing liquid and warm water. Regardless of the solution you choose, always test it in a small area first.
- Use a stiff brush and cleaning solution to remove any stubborn stains
- Tip: Do not use a metal wire brush. Rubbing metal wire over the surface will leave small metallic particles which can leave rust marks on the paver surface
- Read our article: Removing Stains from Pavers for more thorough instructions.
Jointing Sand Maintenance
Pavers with polymeric jointing sand do not require much care. However, it may happen from time to time that some of the polymeric sand may have dislodged during the winter. If that happens:
- Remove any weeds that may have been missed at the end of last season
- Top off any areas with fresh polymeric sand and carefully follow the instructions on the bag
If a basic jointing sand (without polymers, a binding agent) was used, sweep in fresh concrete sand and use a sealer that is also made to stabilize the joints. Be sure to refer to the instructions on the product so that the surface of your pavers are not compromised
Check the Edging and Surface
Interlocking pavers that are installed properly should maintain their integrity and appearance for decades because they are manufactured to endure freeze-thaw cycles. It’s still important to do a regular visual audit of your paver surface:
- If your patio, driveway or walkway has edge restraints, make sure that the pavers are still being retained in place. If they have moved, remove the pavers in that area and reinstall and add more spikes into the edge restraint for additional reinforcement.
- Check the surface for any settlement of heaving. Settlement is caused by poor or insufficient base materials and/or improper compaction. If the area is visually failing, you should connect with an expert, such as a Unilock Authorized Contractor , or follow these instructions:
- Remove the sand between the joints with a pressure washer or water nozzle
- Pry out several pavers first and lift any other pavers in the affected area
- Add additional concrete sand to level the area
- Reinstall the pavers
- Sweep in new joint sand
If you encounter a spring maintenance issue we have not covered here, we recommend connecting with your local landscape supply dealer, who can help provide you with recommendations that can address your unique situation. For a dealer in your area, click here
Efflorescence 101: What is it? How do you remove it?
When a paver or wall project is installed, a powdery white deposit may sometimes appear on the surface. It can be alarming to see on your newly installed patio and may leave you asking, “What is this?” Your contractor or landscape supply store will tell you that it’s something called “efflorescence.” But what is this exactly? Is it something to worry about?Read More
Winter Paver Maintenance
One of the most popular questions we receive from homeowners contemplating installing a driveway, entrance or walkway at their home is ̶ how do I care for my pavers in the winter months? Don’t let the unknown deter you from installing a beautiful outdoor space that can be enjoyed year-round.Read More
Find a Contractor you can trust
Browse our Design Idea Catalog
Explore endless design possibilities through our Design Idea Catalog. Browse our extensive portfolio of paver and wall products, and get inspired by our outstanding design projects that will fuel your creative expression.
Visit an Outdoor Idea Center
Experience the beauty and quality of Unilock paver and wall products in a life-sized setting by visiting a local Outdoor Idea Center. Our knowledgeable and friendly staff are on hand to answer any questions and offer free product samples.