The title image features a Beacon Hill Smooth paver patio with the U-Cara Multi-Face Wall System
If you’re lucky, most of your outdoor activities in the summer can be focused on the pool. For a new pool deck or complete upgrade, here are seven pool deck ideas that combine elegance with safety in New Paltz, NY.
While you are not always able to use your pool in the New York climate, you do want your pool area to always look its best, and choosing the right pavers will ensure that the poolscape looks as good as it performs. Unilock pool deck pavers are durable and long-lasting. They will resist fading from UV rays, and feature low water absorption so that harsh pool chemicals don’t make their way into the structure of the paver. You won’t see cracking or flaking as you could with natural stone, and the surface will be impervious to the freeze-thaw cycle.
Good looks and durability aside, let’s begin with safety, which is a top priority in pool areas. Unilock pavers feature non-slip textures even when the pavers are wet. This includes smooth-textured pavers. Smooth pavers actually feature slightly pebbled textures that are surprisingly grippy on bare feet, yet won’t snag delicate swimsuit fabrics.
1. Beacon Hill Smooth pavers from Unilock is a popular poolside option. The flagstone-inspired look makes for a relaxed outdoor space while the contemporary colors and large format XL rectangle can create a pool deck with the serene appeal of a sophisticated mountain hideaway.
2. When water collects on a surface, it creates a slick film. You can minimize this effect by using permeable pavers around your pool, such as the Hex Paver. Permeable pavers feature larger spaces between the joints to allow surface water to seep into a permeable base that will eventually filter the water back into the soil. This will keep your pool deck drier and safer.
3. Ease of maintenance will also ensure that any spilled food, beverages, pool chemicals, sunscreen, or other substances are easily wiped up before they set into slick stains. Umbriano pavers feature a luxurious granite appearance that is protected by EasyClean (just wipe up spills and you’re done). These pavers give your pool patio a sleek modern appearance.
4. Keeping up the good looks over time is essential in pool deck pavers. In addition to choosing pavers infused with EasyClean, you could choose pavers manufactured using EnduraColor, such as the chic Arcana paver with its unique colors and large modern format. This manufacturing process combines a base of coarse aggregates for a stronger foundation with fine wear-resistant aggregates and concentrated on top to maintain the color and ensure a beautiful paver surface over the years. The lighter aggregates will not show through as time progresses.
5. For an expansive pool patio, you may want to match the heft with large format pavers with minimal patterning and texture. The 24” square Skyline pavers can be the ideal choice for sophisticated modern spaces.
6. Achieve old-world elegance with Mattoni pavers in Granite or Sable, which could become the center piece of a Roman-inspired pool area.
7. Not set on a theme? Umbriano pavers can bridge the gap between a modern space and rustic flair: Their granite-flecked surface and smooth texture pairs well with naturalistic stone-veneer walls such as U-Cara or Rivercrest.
Check out the Unilock Dream page for more pool patio inspiration, or talk to your Unilock Authorized Contractor about recommendations for top-rated pool-friendly pavers.